My kids apparently think I make the LAMEST LUNCHES IN TOWN.
They never want me to make them lunch -
they always want to eat in the cafeteria...
but this year I was determined to put a semi-stop to this.
(semi because I don't want to set my expectations too high!)
OK, I will fess up, part of this may be my own issue...
I never made my kids sandwiches...
they always had hot lunches,
and they grew to expect more than a sandwich
(What have I done?!).
Last year I started making mini tamales (I of course never posted that recipe...maybe soon!). This year taquitos were the request of both kiddos.
I thought..."No way...all that oil, all that frying...what a time consuming mess." I searched around the web and pinned this taquito recipe from Big Bold Beautiful Food. By the way here recipe sounds yummy...I altered mine to my kids specifications.
So, with any further adieu here are my baked taquitos...
- 1 package whole wheat tortillas. NOTE: You can use corn tortillas, but the whole wheat flour tortillas rolled easier. If you use corn, be sure to read Big Bold Beautiful Food's method to make them more pliable.
- 1 pound preferred meat. I have made chicken, beef, and ground turkey versions. I really want to perfect a vegetarian version!
- 2-3 cups grated cheese. I use the Mexican blend...you can use your favorite
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil and brush
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
Optional: Corn or veggies. I am definitely going to experiment with veggie crumbles and some grilled veggies...just have not found that time yet!
- Preheat oven to 425F
- place about 1 T olive oil in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan and brush all over the bottom and up the sides
- Cook your filling accordingly. I roasted my chicken and cooked my meat and turkey on the stove top. COOK ALL THE WAY THROUGH.
- Lay tortilla flat.
- Place 1-2 T cheese about 1/3 in from one side.
- Place 2 T filling on top of cheese
- Roll over the close end and tuck the filling in and roll.
- Place seam side down in the pan.
- Continue until the pan is full.
- Brush the tops of the tortillas lightly with olive oil
- Bake at 425F for about 8 minutes.
- Pull out and sprinkle with grated cheese...pop them back in the oven for about 2 minutes...and all done!
So, these are a HIT!
The kids request them over and over and they hold up in the lunch box...
and are even good "not so hot."
What do you make your kids for lunch?