Green smoothies have reigned supreme in our house for years now. I am always experimenting with different flavors. Usually we return to our favorites, but it is fun to taste test! Recently, I came up with this refreshing recipe starring cucumber and pineapple. It is a HUGE hit and it now our favorite Summer green smoothie!
So, I have a confession, I am not the biggest fan of cucumbers on their own. I mean I like pickles, but not a plain ole cucumber. However, when paired correctly with the right ingredients, even I like them! Ad guess what so do my kiddos!
Well, since it is summer and we are all busy...lets just get to the recipe.
Pineapple Cucumber Green Smoothie
NOTE: I try to use organic whenever possible
- A really good blender. I have a (affiliate link) Vitamix 5300 Improved 5200 More Powerful, Fits Under Cabinet Model, Black
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium green apple, sliced* (See NOTE below)
- 1 small lime, peeled (You can just use the juice if you are in a hurry or feeling lazy!. Too much pith can make a bitter taste. Try to remove as much of the pith as possible when you peel.
- 1/2 small cucumber (or 1/3 of a large cucumber), sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple (You don't have to use frozen, but I like it frozen because it acts as ice and fruit)
- 2+ cups greens. I prefer Power greens mixture, but also use kale. I sometimes mix in spring greens or even broccoli.
- Optional: add 1 Tablespoon flax seed or 1/2 of an avocado
TIPS AND TRICKS
PLEASE LET ME STRESS THIS...play with your mixture if you do not like it at first.
- If you like less cucumber, add less and add more greens.
- If you don't like the greens, try a different variety, or reduce the greens and add more cucumber.
- If you are new to green smoothies, try some additional pineapple and then gradually reduce the amount as you grow accustomed to the taste.
- If you water a more fluid texture, use more water.
This is my blender (affiliate link)
- I start with the water in my blender.
- Add the apple (You can core it or if you have a good blender, snap of the stem and simply slice it, leaving the
seeds* and core). See NOTE below
- Add the lime.
- Add the sliced cucumber.
- Blend for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Add the greens.
- Blend for 30 seconds (maybe more, if necessary).
- Once the components are all blended, it is time for the fruit (also the flax seed if you are adding it).
- Add the pineapple and blend on medium high for about 1 minute.
Now, all you have to do is ENJOY and let the green goodness make you feel GOOD!
Want to try some more green smoothie goodness...
Here is a recipe for Strawberry Basil Green Smoothies
and a little something about how and when I started drinking green smoothies.
Do you have a favorite green smoothie combination?