Quiche. Egg pie.
Whatever you want to call it...
this is a mealtime staple in our house.
My daughter thought quiche was too fancy, so I started calling it egg pie and now it is her favorite meal. I did discover that I was making a more traditional quiche and no one was eating the crust, so I have eliminated the crust and no one misses it!
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream (light or regular)*
1 teaspoon sea salt (you can reduce to the salt to 1/2 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
(You can add other herbs like oregano or basil...but this is what my family likes)
*If you do not want to use sour cream, just omit it, I happen to like the texture it gives the quiche
You can add so many things to this quiche. My kids eat veggies, but not cooked with other things...but a quiche full of veggies sounds delightful (instead I serve veggies on the side)
1 cup shredded cheese, we use sharp cheddar
1 cup cubed ham steak (about 3.5 ounces)*
*My family also likes ground turkey or beef or ground sweet Italian sausage
- Oven: Preheat oven to 375 F
- Pan: I use a 9" pie plate or sometimes a 8 x8 square ceramic dish. I do NOT use any cooking spray, etc.
- Combine: eggs (cracked of course), milk, sour cream, salt and pepper and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Layer: In the pan I sprinkle the cheese all over the bottom, then add the meat on top, trying to distribute the filling evenly.
- Pour: the whisked egg/milk/sour cream mixture on top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the center is not jiggling.
- It will look all puffy and gorgeous when it comes out, do not be surprised to see the puff disappear....but it still looks gorgeous.
|(This is actually the sausage quiche, not the ham)|
That is it...easy-peasy crustless egg pie, i mean quiche!
We eat it for dinner and breakfast and lunch too!
Serve it with some veggies and enjoy!