During the holiday season, I do a lot of entertaining
(OK, I confess I entertain all year long - I love a party, big or small!).
It's not always formal or fancy...
but I do like to offer my guests amazing food and a specialty beverage...
other than coffee, the beverage of choice
for most of my friends is a sparkling wine (or prosecco or champagne).
While anything sparkling is great on its own...
every once in awhile I like to change things up a bit.
Add a new flavor...
add a new twist...
The flavors in this cocktail are warm and rich and feel like the holidays!
Sparkling Apple Cardamon Cocktail
Makes 4 cocktails
10 Cardamon pods (crushed)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup good quality apple juice. I used R.W. Knudsen Organic Apple Juice (purchased in my local grocery store)
6 ounces Prosecco or Sparkling Wine**, chilled. Select a prosecco or sparkling wine that you enjoy, but you do not need to use "the best of the best," as we will be adding flavor to this drink.
For a non-alcoholic version, try replacing the prosecco with ginger-ale!
Essentially you are making a simple syrup (very similar to my vanilla syrup)
Prepare the Apple Cardamon Simple Syrup
Yield about 8 ounces
- First, crush the cardamon seeds. I simply placed mine on a cutting board and smashed them with the blunt end of a large knife. They easily smashed and the seeds were released. Be sure to remove the pod and only use the seeds.
- Place the 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 10 seeds of the (crushed) cardamon in a medium sauce pan and slowly bring the mixture to a boil until the sugar is dissolved.
- I had my mixture on a low heat and it took about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the 1 cup of apple juice to the mixture and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let cool, and transfer the mixture and the bean to am airtight container (I use a mason jar).
Mix the Cocktail
- Place 6 ounces of prosecco in a champagne flute
- Add 2 ounces (or more if you prefer an even sweeter cocktail) of the apple cardamon simple syrup to the prosecco.
- Gently mix
- Serve, enjoy, amaze your guest!
I cannot wait to serve this at my next party!
What's your favorite holiday drink?
Be sure to head over and see how I planned a Bubbles and Brew Couples Shower and enter to WIN A $25 TARGET GIFTCARD.