Dessert is a hot topic in my house.
The kids are always asking about dessert.
I strive to find healthy and fun solutions.
Most recently we added a Yonanas to our collection of kitchen appliances and love it (blog post coming very soon) but I have a few other tricks up my sleeve. Once is a tasty little berry concoction I call cobbler...because, well, I don't have a better idea of what to call it...and it seems to be the easiest way to describe it.
This is a variation of a dessert I loved from my MacDougall Cookbook.
I have simplified it even more and the kids LOVE it. They consider it a treat (and so do I) and it is simple, healthy, and you can eat the leftovers for breakfast!
- 2 bags of frozen berries, preferably organic. I use one bag of mixed berries and one of raspberries...but adding a bag of cherries is also yummy!
- 1 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 cup +/- Pure Maple Syrup (you can adjust a with a bit less or more if you need too)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Pie pan (I use a 9" Pyrex glass pie pan). You can use other size pans.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Open and pour both bags of berries into pie pan
- Place in heated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes
- Mix oatmeal, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl. The oatmeal should basically be coated with the maple syrup.
- When berries are done baking, remove from oven and spoon oatmeal mixture all over the berries.
- Return to oven, bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- You can use other size pans - you may need one more bag of berries and additional topping mixture for desired result.
- Mixing the berries up are fun- cherries and berries, raspberries and mixed berries are all yummy!
- The best price on organic frozen berries seems to consistently be Whole Foods (yes, believe it or not!)
Pretty simple, eh? And YUMMY!
And since there is no added sugar and the ingredients
are healthy if there is any left,
the kiddos get a scoop in the morning too!
Do you have a yummy, healthy dessert?
Or What's your favorite dessert?