I think it has been 3 years or so since I discovered this type of bread. I make it every single Valentines day (and for many parties before). I have also adapted it for other holidays like the Shamrock Surprise Pound Cake.
It might look complicated...but I PROMISE you, its not!
- 2 boxes Betty Crocker Pound Cake Mix (plus 1/2 cup butter, 4 eggs, and 1 1/3 cups water, and loaf pans to complete the mix)
- NOTE: I have made this many times. I have used other mixes and I have made a from scratch pound cake. I have found this mix gives you the best results. That's just my opinion.
- 1 small heart cookie cutter, mines about 1 1/2" at the widest/top
- Red food coloring
Mix it/Make it!
NOTE: You will need about 4 hours to complete this cake, not because it is complicated but because the baking and cooling takes time.
- Grease one loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix one box of Pound Cake according to package directions.
- Add six capfuls of red food coloring (You can adjust this to be more pink or more red for you liking)
- Mix thoroughly.
- Bake for one hour at 350F. Check you cake.
- Remove from oven and let cool thoroughly.
- Once cool, cut the bread into 3/4"-1" slices.
- Use the heart cookie cutter to cut small hearts in each slice. I am able to get at least 2 hearts from each piece, and three (if I plan carefully) in the larger center slices.
- Set hearts aside.
- Now prepare the second loaf pan by greasing it and preheating the oven..
- Mix according to package directions. This time, do NOT add food coloring.
- Place about 1 1/2 cups of batter in the bottom of the loaf pan. You want the batter to be about 1" "deep" in the pan.
- Now we will place the hearts.
- Begin about 1/2" from the end of the loaf pan.
- Place a line of hearts down the center of the pan, the hearts will rest in the batter.
- Be sure to keep 1/2" or so on the ends, so that there is room for batter to encase the (pre-baked) hearts all around.
- Once all the hearts are placed, spoon the remaining batter all around the hearts and on top. Make sure you cannot see any of the hearts.
- Bake for 60 minutes; remove from oven; let cool.
Isn't it adorable? You ready to try some?