Why wait a moment longer ...lets move onto the recipe and then you can surprise your family with a breakfast treat this weekend!
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 ounces maraschino cherries (drained), chopped
- 1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- You may also find it super easy to use a mini scone pan
- Freeze your butter over night.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture (use the big holes of the grater or you will drive yourself NUTS!)
- Use your hands (be sure they are clean!) to mix the butter into the flour mixture. Pinch and rub and smush with your fingers until combined.
- Mix in the mini chocolate chips.
- Mix the egg and sour cream together.
- Add the almond extract to the wet mixture.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture (do not use a mixer. Use a fork).
- If necessary, use your hands again to help the dough form.
- Gently fold in the chopped cherries with your hands.
- NOTE: Not all of my cherries folded into the dough, so after forming the scones (before baking), I stuck those cherries into the scones individually.
I USED A SCONE PAN:
My dough was still a bit wet, but I was using my mini scone pan, so it was OK, because I was placing the batter/dough (2 Tablespoons) into the mini scone pan, so it was easy to handle.
OPTION (NO SCONE PAN):
Use a large cutting board or pastry board and dust with flour.
Place your dough on the board and form a large circle about 3/4" thick.
NOTE: add a bit of flour, 1 Tablespoons at a time to make the dough easier to work with.
Use a circular cookie cutter to cut scones or pinch off biscuit size piece and pat into a (rough) circle.
Bake for 15-17 minutes.
Serve to your favorite people!
Like baked goods? Try a savory delight with these Sundried Tomato, Spinach and Goat Cheese Muffins.