I have been really excited about making jewelry.
It seems to have reignited by fashion designer roots.
and I am currently designing head pieces for a childrens fashion show
(insert a "squeal with delight!").
I have a few other tricks up my sleeve too...
but today I am going to show you one of my happy accidents...
and perhaps an
AMAZING MOTHER'S DAY GIFT!
Click on READ MORE for the rest of the tutorial!
I so often find myself over-thinking just about everything...
but late at night I grabbed some sea glass, a pendant tray,
and Mod Podge Dimensional Magic and created a sea glass pendant.
My friends loved this happy accident and, now, when I sell my things...
they are the first to be sold!
These were created out of one of those truly uninhibited,
"just try it" moments!
They are SO EASY to make.
Seriously, I walked away from the project...
and my 5 year old made this one!
- Sea Glass (grab it at the sea, or at craft stores...or ask me...I have small bags for sale)
- Square pendant tray (or any shape you prefer) and chain for necklace. You can get these at craft stores or on etsy (search for "pendant tray")
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
- Seed beads (choice of colors). In the jewelry section at the craft store. I have also picked them up at Tuesday Morning and in the dollar section of my craft store.
- Coffee filter (to collect the seed beads).
- (1) I like to lay out my supplies and dry fit the sea glass.
- (2) Once I get a configuration I like, I "move" it to a blank piece of paper in (as close as I can) the formation.
- (3) On the pendant tray, I fill the bottom with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. I want the bottom covered, but not overflowing...I still need to put the sea glass in, and it does not need to overflow.
- (4)Then I place my sea glass...sometimes it takes some finessing and moving around to get the right look...but that is the beauty of this...it is modern art and can change and adapt! Once I get my sea glass in place they way I like it, I add some more Dimensional Magic to fill in gaps and really to secure the pieces in the pendant. The small tip of the Dimensional Magic makes it easy to get into small spaces.
- If necessary wipe any excess Dimensional Magic from the outside edges of the tray.
- I transfer the pendant (carefully) to a coffee filter and sprinkle seed beads all over the tray. the seed beads adhere to the Dimensional Magic. I do NOT shake the excess beads off yet. I wait for the pendant to dry overnight (24 hours).
- Once dry, shake off the excess beads.
Hang it on a simple necklace or a pretty piece of ribbon and let it sparkle!
What are you hoping for for Mother's Day?