Many (many) years ago, I was a young girl just starting to work in the Los Angeles garment industry. I worked with real toads, but I also worked with some people who touched my life forever. Some with friendship and some with food. In our design room we had two very sweet ladies sewing for us. One day they decided to throw a party for us and brought the most amazing Mexican food...and this cake, a Tres Leches Cake which is still quite possibly, pretty much the best thing I have ever eaten.
Tres Leches Cake is a very moist, rich, and (if you ask me decadent) dessert made by soaking a cake in a combination of three milks. It is really easy to make and once you try it you will realize it is too!
- 1 box of White Cake Mix (I happen to use Betty Crocker Mixes). I have tried this from scratch, but for some reason, the boxed mix works best.
- 1 1/4 cups water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 3 eggs for the mix
- 1 can, 14 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can, 12 oz., Evaporated Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 13 x 9" pan
This cake does NOT need frosting or anything heavy. I make a very plain topping with heavy whipping cream.
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (I do not add any sugar to mine when I make Tres Leches Cake - I don't think you need it)\
Fresh berries. coconut or toasted coconut
OPTIONAL - ADULTS ONLY:
If I am serving this to adults only, I will add 1/2 cup of rum! The milk does NOT get cooked, so the alcohol remains in tact. So, again, for adults only!
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the package (add water, oil and eggs and mix to combine)
- Bake in a 13 x 9" pan (with the bottom greased) at 350F for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over the cake.
Prepare the milks:
- Combine the can of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy whipping cream, along with the 2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Pour the mixture all over your (completely cooled cake).
- Cover and let rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- NOTE: I have served this within 6 hours of soaking the cake, but overnight is best!
Prepare the Whipped Cream Topping:
- Combine 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a mix and mix on high for about 5 minutes until it it thick and whip cream texture.
- Spread the whipped cream all over the cake and top with fresh berries or coconut or both!
Have you ever have Tres Leches Cake?
Who wants to come over for dessert?