I am not a big meat-eater (which is like a sin in Texas) but my family, especially my husband needs his meat for every meal. I continue to test and try different recipes to find combinations of flavors that he (and the kiddos like)...and this super flavorful slow cooker chicken is a "winner, winner, chicken dinner!"
- 1 Whole chicken, with all the stuff inside removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (ow regular oregano)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 white onion, sliced (Optional)
- Mix the softened butter with all of the spices, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Remove the insides of the chicken, rinse it and pat dry
- Breast side up, gently use your fingers to separate the skin from the meat.
- Use your fingers to place the butter mixture between the skin and meat all over the breast and into the wings and drumsticks (as best you can).
- Place 1 cup chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on "low."
- Place chicken in slow cooker, breast side up.
- Add the onion to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-5 hours.
I make this chicken all the time and it works so well with our busy schedules. We use it in salads, serve it with rice and pasta, and in chicken tacos! Whew! Everyone is happy!
You can also play around with the spice combinations - add more or your favorite...and it is amazing when some preserved lemons - they add a richness to the dish.
Now go grab and chicken and make dinner tomorrow easy peasy!