I LOVE Fall. The weather is amazing and it is finally time to bake with my favorite flavors - nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin...and gingerbread! So I had some (very ugly) bananas begging to be made into bread, but felt the need to give this banana bread a Fall twist by adding the flavors of gingerbread....and a few chocolate chips (because they make life better!).
This bread was a hit - my whole family voted (and they are NOT an easy audience!). It is sweet, but not too sweet and has the perfect hint of Fall in every bite.
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Egg, beaten
1/3 Cup butter, melted PLUS some (1-2 Tablespoons) for buttering the pan
3 Very ripe bananas
3/4 Brown Sugar, packed
1/3 Cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
(OPTIONAL) Mini chocolate chips, 1/2 cup
Make It! Bake it!
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Prepare a 4 x 8 loaf pan by buttering all sides and bottom.
In one bowl:
- Mash bananas
- Melt the butter and stir into the bananas.
- Mix baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg together.
- Add brown sugar to spice mixture.
- Add the beaten egg and vanilla.
- Add molasses.
- Combine these ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the flour to this mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture.
- Combine well.
- Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Pour into prepared loaf pan
- Bake for about 1 hour in a 350F oven.
Test for doneness, remove from oven and let cool.
I just sprinkled the to with some powdered sugar to make it extra pretty!
Enjoy the wonderful treat full of the best Fall flavors!
What is your favorite Fall flavor?