I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Rubbermaid. I received product samples to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
For my kids, back to school means early mornings and homework. For me, it means early mornings and packing lunches! Well, let me be honest, I will not be bragging about my ability to pack lunches. However, that is changing. At the high school, my son can spend between $8-$10 on lunch...every day (ouch)! On the other hand, my daughters lunch is less expensive, but she likes her food "a certain way." So this year, I am sending them off with a healthy Salad Bar On The Go packed up in a Rubbermaid Lunch Blox.
My kids eat vegetables - certain vegetables, but they do eat them. I have been trying to expand their horizons and recently they have been eating salads...which they have come to enjoy. They like the salads I prepare because they can add all of their favorite ingredients to make it taste exactly they way they want. One kid can have cheese and meat, the other nuts and fruit. It is so easy to change up the options! Using the Rubbermaid Lunch Blox Salad Kit, I have been able to pack amazing Salad Bar On The Go lunches that keep the kids happy and healthy and satisfied - that means no grumpy kids when they get off the bus! (Yeah for Mom!)
The Lunch Blox is a modular food storage container that snaps together in a variety of configurations, making is]t so easy to pack all the fixings for your personal salad bar! It is also 100% BPA Free and dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe.
The Lunch Blox has been working very well for us. First of all, it keeps me organized (and I need that at 6 am) - I store the containers snapped together, so there is no searching for the right lids and bottoms. I actually use Rubbermaid Food Storage Containers already, so I know they are easy to store, easy to find, and they keep my food fresh! Add the convenience of the snap together Lunch Blox and Blue Ice...what could be easier?
There is one thing that no one likes - a soggy salad. The dividers and food storage containers of the Lunch Blox are the perfect solution to keep the ingredients fresh. I have been stressing appropriate portions sizes to the kiddos, so I found it to be a great BONUS that each section is proportioned with measurements on the side. This is also super convenient for adults who are packing lunches for work or on the go and trying to watch their portions.
The Salad Kit has 4 main pieces that work in perfect harmony.
- 5.2 cup salad container (with lid)
- 1.5 cup divided tray
- 1.8 ounce dressing container
- Blue Ice (Just freeze it and it snaps to the bottom of your Lunch Blox to keep your lunch cool.)
Now that you know how easy it is to pack and keep lunch fresh...
Let's pack our Salad Bar To Go!
- GREENS: Go in the large container. Add shredded carrot and broccoli slaw (about 1-2 tablespoons of each) ****TIP: I use food scissors to chop my lettuce. It makes the pieces easier to eat (bite size) and lets you get more greens in the container!****
- TOPPINGS: Add a mixture of dried cranberries and toasted sunflower seeds to the other small section.
- DRESSING: Fill the small container with the dressing of their choosing, oil and vinegar for us!
- PROTEIN: Chick peas were on the menu today!
- Pack it all up in the Rubbermaid Lunch Blox and then they can mix it up fresh at lunchtime! And it stays cool and fresh with the help of the Blue Ice!
(See below for more ideas for your Salad Bar On The Go)
Of course, to suit your own kids tastes consider mixing things up!
- Switch up the lettuce: Spinach, romaine, red leaf, and butter lettuces are great alternatives to mixed green. and great choices.
- As for the cheese, Parmesan, goat and feta cheeses offer a zing to the salad. Fruits, like apple, nectarine or mandarin oranges are sweet and tasty.
- Of course more veggies, such as cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli pieces, cucumber or bell pepper only add to the nutritional value.
- Protein can be from a vegetarian source, like beans, tofu, hard boiled eggs, or veggie crumbles or use turkey sausage, ground beef or grilled chicken or beef.
- The possibilities are endless!
I know there has been a lot of talk about kids...but guess what? As I mom I am always on the go myself...and I bet you are too. Lunch Blox is perfect for bringing nutritious, healthy lunches with me where ever I may have to go.
Grab some more great lunch ideas by Visiting Rubbermaid:
Whats your favorite lunch?