In 1,000,000 years I would have never believed that I would have any deer, or rather stag heads in my home. Now of course this are glittery and fake, but nonetheless, this was not a home decor path I thought I would go down...but heck I live in Texas Hill Country now and there are deer everywhere and it is practically a decorating essential (like the Texas Star). Now if you are like me, you realize Christmas is just around the corner but you are not done decorating and just need a few more things...well, this projects could not be SIMPLER!!!! I promise.
Now...if deer are still not your thing...you can do this with so many other types of ornaments! Just peek around the stores for an ornament you like and glue it to a board too!
Let's get to it.....so we can go shop, bake, and make!
- 3 Stag Head Ornaments, Sandra by Sandra Lee, available at Kmart (if you don't have a Kmart near you...they will ship to a local Sears - I know because I did this...I had to have these ornaments...and it was EASY!)
- Scrap wood. Mine is 1" x 6" x 14"
- Wood stain. I normally use apple cider vinegar stain (but I was out!). I just grabbed a small can of stain in a color that I liked from the store.
- Rag or paint brush (Rubber gloves to protect your hands)
- Hot Glue
- Sandpaper (I use my Dremel)
Make It! (this is so easy...I don't even have photos - you can do it!)
- Cut or have someone cut your wood...or just find a piece laying around.
- Wipe board clean of debris.
- Stain the board - wipe or paint on the stain; wipe off with a rag; let dry.
- Sand the edges of the board (optional).
- Place one stag in the center of the board, with the bottom about 2" from the bottom of the wood. (Mark the place if necessary)
- Use hot glue to secure the ornament to the wood; hold in place for a bit until glue begins to harden. (I tried other glues, but found hot glue to have the most instantaneous adhesion. The heads drooped and fell with the drying time of other glues)
- Place one head on each side of the center deer; 2" from the bottom and centered between the center deer and edge of the board.
- Let dry and display!
A few days ago I posted about Kmart's #BestDressedHome Sweepstakes...head over to peek at that to post to see how you can win BIG!